Your domain name (website address) is the entry point to your site. It is important that it makes a good impression for usability purposes, as well as for search engine optimization (SEO).
Here are some tips for coming up with a great domain name:
- Make it easy to spell.
- Keep it as short as possible. The shorter it is, the easier it is to remember and type correctly.
- Use the right domain extension. Know when to select a .com, .org, .net, .co, .edu etc.
- Avoid numbers and hyphens. They are hard to remember, and may be misunderstood when vocalizing the domain name.
- Ensure it is memorable. With so many websites on the internet, it is important that your website name is catchy so people will remember how to access it in the future.
- Search the domain name to see if a similar website address already exists online.
- Check if the price is right for you. Determine if you can purchase your desired website address at a reasonable price. Some domains might need you to purchase them from users who already purchased them.
- Create an SEO-friendly URL. When appropriate, try to come up with an SEO-friendly website address that includes keywords and geo-location; for example, “www.NairobiDentist.com.”